Assignment 1: Case Study #1
Throughout this course, you’re learning how to use problem solving and self and social awareness skills to practice the key concepts of psychology. You’re discovering how self and social awareness and problem solving work together to help you understand the perspectives of others, examine situations objectively, and use evidence to develop and make decisions. With this case study assignment, you’ll have the chance to put your skills to work!
Read the case study below and use your problem solving and self and social awareness skills to help a co-worker work through a difficult situation.
Case Study and Questions
Gloria is a recent college graduate and a single mom to 16-year-old Gary. Gloria and Gary used to be close. But recently, Gloria has noticed that Gary is only focused on what his friends think about him. Gary recently snuck out of his bedroom window and went to a party when he was supposed to be studying for a big exam. Gloria caught him coming home and smelled alcohol on his breath and marijuana on his clothes. Gloria is shocked and appalled by her son’s recent behavior and grounded him for two weeks.
Gloria comes to you because she needs some advice on how to handle her son’s poor choices. Using what you have learned about the adolescent brain and social development in Chapter 3 of the webtext, answer the questions below to help Gloria understand why her son is making such poor choices, and pose some recommendations to help her solve her problem:
1. What happens to teen brains that make it difficult for someone like Gary to weigh risk and reward?
2. Why may Gary value his peers more than his mom?
3. What specific strategies or advice would you recommend that Gloria can do to help her son to make better decision
4. Place yourself in Gloria’s shoes; how do you think Gloria is feeling? How can understanding her feelings help you offer constructive advice?
Use the Case Study #1 Assignment Template to record your responses. For each question, you should write a paragraph-length response (5-7 sentences) to receive credit for this assignment. You may use your Soomo webtext as a resource. Once you have completed your work, save the file and upload it to the assignment submission area.
Strayer University Writing Standards Note: Review the Strayer University Writing Standards. These are provided as a brief set of user-friendly guidelines that make it easier for you to learn the behaviors of appropriate writing (i.e., clear, professional, and ethical writing). This is meant to support the use of the template provided.
- Confidentiality & Authenticity Guaranteed
- Plagiarism Free answers Guarantee
- We Guarantee Timely Delivery of All essays
- Quality & Reliability
- Papers Written from Scratch and to Your exact Instructions
- Qualified Writers Only
- We offer Direct Contact With Your Writer
- 24/7 Customer Support