Simulating Cosmic Ray Showers Python Assignment
This is a final project using python to simulate cosmic ray showers. Upper division undergraduate physics knowledge required, specifically in special relativity and quantum mechanics. Python knowledge in Monte Carlo simulation (important), discrete derivatives, ODEs (Euler / Runge-Kutta), and NumPy and mathplotlib arguments required. Please add comments throughout the code. For the ipynb files, I use nteract.
The project entails building a Monte Carlo simulation in 2 dimensions that will reproduce the cosmic-ray air shower effect. The overall algorithm includes:
1. Keeping track of the following information for all particles: identity (proton, muon,…), current position, and current velocity.
2. At each timestamp dt, use Monte Carlo to test for random decay/interaction, and split into multiple particles if such an event happens. If it does happen, use sub-algorithm:
1. Choose a random direction for one of the decay products
2. Momentum vectors of all decay products determined using conservation of energy and momentum
3. Using known velocity of decaying particle, apply Lorentz boost to find momentum vectors of all decay products in lab frame.
4. Concert from momentum to velocity, and update list of particles. Simulating Cosmic Ray Showers Python Assignment
3. Otherwise, advance the positions of all particles as (dx,dy) = (vx*dt,vy*dt) (This is all detailed in “cosmic_assign.ipynb)
I have added the files necessary. Look at “cosmic_assign.ipynb” first. This file gives complete description of concept, physics equations, the main loop, and required API. Read it carefully. All functions in API must be used. “Cosmic_API_tests_full.ipynb” is what it sounds like, it contains tests for the API functions. “Cosmic_presentation. ipynb” contains guidelines for the final presentation of results. “cosmic.py” is the module you will add code to to eventually call in the Monte Carlo sim (so far only contains “import NumPy as np”). The two files that will be turned in are “cosmic.py” and “cosmic_presentation.ipynb”.
VERY IMPORTANT: I have set the due date for this project to be May 29th. However, I request a project checkpoint no later than May 19th. The complete project does not have to be completed at this date. Just a checkpoint to see the progress. Please let me know ASAP if any information is missing or if you need any files in a different format (I included each as a .ipynb, .tex, and .pdf files). Simulating Cosmic Ray Showers Python Assignment
Need Help with a similar Assignment?
- Confidentiality & Authenticity Guaranteed
- Plagiarism Free answers Guarantee
- We Guarantee Timely Delivery of All essays
- Quality & Reliability
- Papers Written from Scratch and to Your exact Instructions
- Qualified Writers Only
- We offer Direct Contact With Your Writer
- 24/7 Customer Support